How To Trim The Bottom Of A Kitchen Cabinet?
- 1 What kind of trim goes under cabinets?
- 2 How do you cut the bottom of kitchen cabinets?
- 3 Can you cut the bottom of a cabinet?
- 4 Do you put trim behind cabinets?
- 5 Do baseboards go behind cabinets?
- 6 Should refrigerator be flush with cabinets?
- 7 How do you shave the side of a cabinet?
- 8 How do you cut the depth of a cabinet?
- 9 How do you remove built in cabinets?
- 10 How can I make melamine cabinets look better?
What kind of trim goes under cabinets?
Cabinet moulding, sometimes spelled cabinet molding, is a long, narrow decorative piece of wood that is used to give cabinetry a customized look. It can be used to cover the space between the cabinets and the ceiling, installed atop or below a cabinet, or inserted into the cabinet front.
Use a straightedge to draw a line around the perimeter where the cabinet needs to be cut off. Use a circular saw to cut the cabinet one side at a time to shorten it. After you’ve cut through the cabinet, trim the bottom so it fits back on. Screw it back on from the bottom.
Cabinets are no more than plywood boxes, and most can be changed readily. The process of shortening cabinets typically involves cutting out a section and cutting down doors to fit the shortened cabinet. Changes in cabinet dimensions can be done with a table saw.
Do you put trim behind cabinets?
Behind the cabinets, the molding is not installed. The cabinets butt against the wall and the shoe molding is terminated at the edge of the cabinet. Install shoe molding behind the refrigerator. The base molding behind the cabinets needs removing as well.
Do baseboards go behind cabinets?
The baseboard will run to the edge of your cabinets hiding the gap. That 1/2″ gap is normal. As Mitch said the cabinet hides what the baseboard doesn’t.
Should refrigerator be flush with cabinets?
In short, the answer is yes. Your fridge will need about two inches of space away from the wall in the back to allow for air circulation. On the sides, you’ll want your fridge to have about 1/8 inch for a standard fridge and about 1 inch on each side for cabinet depth.
How do you shave the side of a cabinet?
Grasp the front knob of the planer tightly with your leading hand and hold the rear handle firmly with your other hand. Apply the plane to the cabinet side with pressure, pointing the front end of the tool downward. Keeping pressure on the tool with both hands, make a smooth downward stroke to shave the wood.
How do you cut the depth of a cabinet?
You can reduce the depth of your wall cabinets by cutting them down.
- Measure the amount you would like to cut off the wall cabinets from the back of the cabinet and mark it with a pencil.
- Draw a line around the entire cabinet using a straight-edge and a pencil.
- Cut the back of the cabinet off using a circular saw.
How do you remove built in cabinets?
How do you remove base cabinets?
- Taking down the kitchen cabinets?
- Remove the cabinet doors and drawers.
- Take off the cove molding along the soffit with a pry bar.
- Unscrew the cabinet unit from the soffit and remove the cabinets.
- Throw away or donate the old cabinet doors, molding and hardware.
How can I make melamine cabinets look better?
Paint Them Pretty A few coats of satin, eggshell or semigloss paint with a built-in primer can uplift your cabinetry. After sanding your cabinet boxes and doors to abrade the surfaces — to make it “grab” the paint — consider colors such as smoky gray, rich brown or bold black for drama.